Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Safe Arrival and some time in Oslo!

Hello from beautiful Oslo, Norway! Where the wind is refreshing and the people are blonde. We had a nice flight on which Lee slept the whole time. Highlights include:

* The man behind us who snorted snot into his throat via heavy sniveling, then hawked it around in there but did not spit... Gross.

* The young man next to me who ordered two bottles of champagne. The flight attendant set one bottle on my tray, thinking he was ordering it to share with me. ("It's not for you," he said to my dismay.) This could be considered an honest mistake; the dude was youngish, sitting next to me, attractive enough to date me, however: This was not an honest mistake, as Lee Barnett flanked my other side, and we are not known for our subtleties in public displays of affection. (And let me tell you, here in Europe, we are not judged for outwardly being in love and for illustrating it with the occasional butt tap, nuzzle, etc.

We arrived in the Oslo airport Tuesday and took the train into Setrum Station (Central Station). We wandered briefly until we found our hotel, the lovely Sentrum Pensjonat (Central Pensjonat). On Tuesday we walked up the pedestrian shopping mecca, Karl Johans Gate, to the place where the king of Norway lives. We snuck into the historical museum to use the Toualett. We went to the National Gallery where we saw Edward Munch's Scream and some other cool stuff.

About this time, we were both pretty exhausted but tried to stay up as late as possible. I had only slept a few hours on the plane and my body felt like it was about noon, so my body thought it had been awake since 7:30 a.m. the previous day. My body, much like Shakira's hips, does not lie.

We slugged up the steps to Dolly Dimple's and ordered a delicious Margherita pizza for about 30 bucks. (I can't find the dollar key on this keyboard, but I can find ø, æ, ¤ and å.) The food is really, really expensive here. But the pizza was delicious, and I did it four pieces (Whattup, Julie?!) I could barely keep my eyes open so we somehow stumbled back to the hostel and passed the frik out. It was about 19:30 local time (that's 7:30 for you math lovers). We slept until 7:30 this morning. (Again, this one's for the mathees: 12 hours, fool.) Our sleep was totally comfortable and interrupted only briefly by the two brothers who stumbled in at some point to sleep. (Mom, don't freak out. We were staying in a four bed room and they occupied the other two beds.)

Today we're on a normal sleep/ wake schedule and we had a great day. I may let Lee tell you all about it. Tomorrow we depart for Stockholm!

No comments: